Letters from Prison

David lets me know I owe him a letter, which I’ll send out to him on Monday. According to his third-generation paraphrase, the parole commissioner at the file review hearing said something like, “I seldom see a case like this that is as well thought out and deserving of immediate parole.” The parole hearing itself has been moved to June, and David writes, “I’ve been down nine years; another month won’t kill me.” Along with the letter, I’ve got a box of comic books packed to ship his way: he likes David Mack’s Kabuki and he’s curious about the direction Marvel’s X-books are taking, as craptacular as they’ve lately been, and I’m still trying to convince him that Brian Michael Bendis is turning into a solid writer, pacing issues aside.

David’s lately been doing that prison-stereotype work, pushing mowers on the highway median strip and weed-whackers by the guard rails. My friend Jason has dropped off David’s resume at a few places. David’s returning to a community where his crimes gained him considerable front-page notoriety, and that complicates matters. He wants to be a chef, he says; to eventually have his own restaurant.

I’m hopeful for him.

Letters from Prison

6 thoughts on “Letters from Prison

• May 6, 2006 at 12:45 am

In good communities, “Good Christians” forgive repentants. Surely, he’ll have that in his corner.

I thought of you yesterday. A kid who once wrote about jail overcrowding and talked about his brother in prison told me he was admitting himself to rehab because he didn’t want to wind up like his brother who was, according to him, a real sharp and serious and dedicated guy who just got mixed up with drugs. He showed me numerous drawings that he called “con work,” intricate pencil drawings, mosaics really, in pencil; I shook my head when I looked at one by a “lifer” according to him: “What a waste of life,” I said.

I’m glad your letter looked good. Good luck to David.

• May 6, 2006 at 9:38 am

My hopes are with you both. What a shame about the delay.

• May 6, 2006 at 10:56 am

I’m wishing both of you good luck.

• May 6, 2006 at 12:21 pm

Shelly, your story is both heart-breaking and redemptive. I hope your student does well in rehab and avoids his brother’s mistakes. Mike, I’m so glad to hear the prelimimary positive news. June will be here before we know it.

• May 6, 2006 at 6:36 pm

David called this afternoon–collect, of course, via T-Netix, which limits him to half an hour per call–and talked about how things are going. There’s some confusion with his lawyer and with the parole commissioner over how the process works and what exactly “immediate release” means. But he’s happy to have the eight-hour days on the road crew, and happy to have a routine.

Thanks for the good thoughts, all. Shelly, there’s a huge amount of amazing writing and art produced by cons (as well as other forms of creativity; the tattoo gun made out of a walkman, etc.), partly because it’s the only real outlet they have. I think that’s why David’s so happy to have the road crew job; because he can do something productive, and he can see the results of what he’s done.

• May 7, 2006 at 4:49 pm

I am so happy for David. Please express to him that I am thankful for him.
    Sometimes unpleasant circumstances creates a mountain of blessings for others. He may not realize it but it is because of him being your brother and that phone call that you got from T-NETIX which prompted you to comment on this website about it.

My son is also in unpleasant circumstances too. It is because of him that I am devoting my time and energies to this cause to fight T-NETIX.

I thank God for David and I will be forever grateful to him for having a brother like you Mike.

I am happy that you said that you got a collect call. Even thought collect is higher in cost than prepaid, I’m glad for my collect. I will never pay for a card.

I’m in the process of having someone build me a website so that I can put all of the correspondence that I have from the DPSCS and DBM. Especially that bogus flyer that they concocted. I want to world wide web to see what liars they are and the scam that they are trying to pull on us.

The truth will be told. I would like everyone to help out with what I will ask them to do.

Please give David my regards.

Comments are closed.